This Insanely Popular Starbucks Drink Is Essentially a “Hot, Milky Coke”

This Insanely Popular Starbucks Drink Is Essentially a “Hot, Milky Coke”



Between the taste, the aroma and the autumnal spirit the
drink brings, it’s a well-known fact among coffee lovers that the day Starbucks
releases their Pumpkin Spice Lattes is the same day fall unofficially begins. But
there has to be more to why people literally flock to these drinks, along with
pumpkin-spice-flavored everything else, too, right? Turns out, there is—and the
science behind it will shock you.

As you probably already know,
Pumpkin Spice Lattes don’t contain real pumpkin, but rather a syrup meant to
mimic the flavor of pumpkin pie (the flavor usually stems from a mix of ginger,
cloves, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon). But according to a study conducted by Business Insider with
help from Kantha Shelke at the Institute of Food
Technologists, pumpkin spice mix contains
at least 340 flavor compounds, while most PSLs only contain a shocking five and 10
percent of this natural blend of spices. Translation: The other 90 percent of
your latte is made up of synthetic chemicals that are tricking your brain into
thinking they’re the real thing (cinnamic aldehydes, the synthetic version of
cinnamon, mimics real cinnamon in your drink, eugenol emulates allspice, sabinene
mimics nutmeg, and vanillin
and cyclotene evoke butter).

You May Also Like: Warning: Your Soy, Coconut or Almond Milk Pumpkin Spice Latte Isn’t Dairy Free

What’s even more interesting
about this is that these five synthetic ingredients found in your PSL—cinnamic
aldehydes, eugenol, sabinene, vanillin and cyclotene—can
also be found in every bottle of another wildly popular drink: Coca-Cola. According
to Lauren O’Neal in Brooklyn Magazine, the primary flavors in Coke include cinnamon, nutmeg, and
vanilla, and these are the very compounds used to produce the flavors. “The mysterious, original [Coca-Cola] recipe uncovered by This
American Life included cinnamon oil (which contains cinnamic aldehydes
and eugenol), nutmeg oil (which contains sabinene), and vanilla
(which—surprise, surprise—contains vanillin),” O’Neal explains, adding that this
is why she believes Pumpkin Spice Lattes are so popular in the United States
and all over the world. “It’s
not because of nostalgia or basicness, at least not primarily. It’s because
everyone loves Coke, and PSLs are, in essence, hot, milky Cokes.”

We’re not denying the sweet-tasting goodness of a PSL in the peak of fall, but after hearing this news (and the three-worded way it’s described), we’ll be thinking twice before ordering another one at our Starbucks counter. And if you’re already down the one- or two-a-day rabbit hole, you might want to join us, considering aside from sugar and milk, you’re not consuming any natural ingredients in these all-too-popular drinks. Perhaps maybe, just maybe, it’s a good thing these lattes are seasonal offerings. 


https://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/11329-pumpkin-spice-latte-ingredients/

By | 2017-09-13T13:27:09+00:00 September 13th, 2017|Categories: Health|0 Comments

Leave A Comment